ShareThis

Monday, July 23, 2012

The theater's a "innocent, hopeful place'? Really?

Following the tragedy last week when a gunman open fired on a movie-going crowd attending the latest Batman film The Dark Knight Rises--killing 12 and injuring dozens-- the director said in a statement. "I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theater is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. "
In the past that may have been true. I remember as a kid seeing films like Rocky and Star Wars on the big screen. But check out this PluggedIn review that describes the darkness, evil and violence this movie is heaped with and tell me where the hope or innocence are.