ShareThis

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Evolve?

President Barack Obama was brilliant when he years ago announced his "evolving" position on gay marriage.
He'd run solidly for president as opposing gay marriage.
So did Hillary Clinton. And Bill Clinton, who signed the Defense of Marriage Act in the 1990s. Now he's praising the Supreme Court for overturning it. He's "evolved."  (Here's a list of other politicians that have "evolved").
But he is evolving. It's a smart turn-of-phrase that former Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (now Secretary of State) could have used to describe his decision to vote for a measure before voting against it.
We called it flip-flopping then.
We call it evolving now.
We can all evolve, I guess. I once thought it was wrong to get divorced. But I've changed my mind...I mean, I've evolved.
I once thought it was wrong to take something that wasn't mine but I have' had a change of heart, I've evolved.
Evolved. It gives a sense of superiority. It signals a sense of maturity. If I still hold on to a view that something is wrong, I'm stupid, I just haven't "evolved" enough yet. We evolve to believe that a baby isn't a baby until it is practically born (and in some cases, even after he or she is born). I just can't do these mental gymnastics.
But in essence to evolve means no one holds on to any belief too strongly. If the tide changes, I can evolve with them. Look at the slideshow (linked above) of the politicians who have flip-flopped, err. evolved. Some even say, People should feel free to marry whoever they love.
So, does that mean polygamy? Does that mean couples marrying couples? Does that mean adults marrying children? If we should discriminate against no one (if discriminate is the right word, and I'm not sure it is) then we can have no laws determining who can get married. Why not two 10 year olds? You can take this to it's logical conclusion: If you can redefine marriage, what else can we redefine?  Already the gays have taken over the wonderful rainbow symbol of God's promise not to flood the earth again? But they can't take away its true message.
The pacifists took the dove, God's symbol of His peace.
But there's more to crafting your message than cheap imagery. But in essence it means no one holds on to any belief too strongly. If the tide changes, I can evolve with them.
The Bible has a verse that says,"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." [1 Corinthians 13:11.
That's not evolving. That's maturing.
Evolution is the belief that something grows out of nothing. It was once a negative word in a world or at least a country that believed in Creation by a Creator.Now it means "To develop or achieve gradually." But it does not mean to completely turn around and go in an opposite direction as one was headed. 
Oh yeah, that's called repentance. Something our country will need to do for all it's so-called evolving.
For now, Obama was able to change the definition of the word. Everyone seems to be evolving.
Or are they?