ShareThis

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Is "funny" a defense for Christians?

A Christian speaker who tours, speaks at various events and even has a book out, posts a questionable video on his Twitter account.
He labels it childish, yet funny.
So, hey, I'm all for childish and funny.
I'm not up for dirty. I'm not up for things that are unholy. I'm not up for things that displease God.
Certainly I shouldn't be directed to such things from a minister of the word.
And yet I was.
I won't be specific. But the joke is a new commercial and it's a trick that makes you hear a swear word but in essence, you're not hearing a swear word at all.
Yet what makes it "funny" is that you hear people saying this word, over and over and over again.
So, I tweet this ministry speaker whose motto is "inspiring and empowering this generation."
His response: "There's an 'unfollow' button and I encourage you to use it." Oh yeah, he ended with ;).
I think that's a wink. Not sure, does that mean, "I'm not THAT mad?"
I'm not big on these smiley faces, etc. Doesn't feel very "adult." Would the Apostle Paul have done that after a line or two with Timothy. LOL. Not sure.
[Side note: Can you imagine Paul saying to Timothy: "There's an unfollow button. I encourage you to use it"? No, Paul pressed on toward the prize and urged his followers to follow him as he followed Christ].
So, I responded. I thought we could have a dialogue. I mention this idea that because something is funny doesn't make it right. I had to stop watching Seinfeld because I didn't want to laugh at sin. I don't want to laugh that which put Christ on the Cross.
Is this too serious?
: )
Sorry, tried to be hip there.
So I unfollowed (if there is such a word) this person. But then I went to his website. Clicked the first video. It's all about accountability. The need for men to be have accountability partners. I clicked the next video. Even more on accountability. This is a talk he gave at some large gathering, behind a podium, scriptures on the podium.
Good word. Isn't this what we all need. "Hey, brother, I think that joke crossed a line." Or "I think you may have handled that wrong" or fill in the blank. It's accountability. Not punitive, Just another person who has my back, helping me be all that God has created me to be. And what He's created me to be is someone who points people to Him. Someone who puts no obstacles in someone's way. Someone who puts no stumbling blocks in another's way.
Well, I had to "follow" this person again briefly to point out his "accountability" talks.
Then I promptly unfollowed him again. It was his wish. He thanked me for watching his video.
Some people don't practice what they preach, I suppose. I know that's true sometimes with me, but Lord I pray you help me to live out what I believe, to live out what I say and to do nothing that would encourage others to laugh at sin. You paid far to high a price to ever to do that!
- Word Smith